Sunday 7 September 2014

DIY - Die Cut and Ink Resist Cards


Hi everyone, Tiffany here with a quick DIY post. I don't know about you, but I am LOVING some new products I've seen hitting stores. Unfortunately, I'm trying to use my supplies instead of adding to them right now, and I live in an area without any of the popular big box stores. So what's a girl to do? Figure out a way to make my own, of course.

A recent trend I really wanted to try out are cards that are die cut and also have some ink resist. The particular ones I've seen are made for pocket scrapping, but I use that kind of product on traditional layouts and greeting cards too, so the possibilities are endless.

I started out with watercolor paper (inexpensive Artist's Loft 90lb)  so that it would hold paint or ink well. My Silhouette Portrait cut right through this paper with no trouble on a normal cardstock setting. I mostly used cards that can be found in the Silhouette store, but I also made a simple 3x4 rounded rectangle and added some hearts (from the Silhouette store). I've only had the machine for a few weeks and this was my second project so it's pretty simple!


For this card, I used a stamp and VersaMark ink, plus clear embossing powder to add a resist pattern in the background. The watercolor paper texture really shows here but I like the way it looks.


Some Dylusions spray ink in teal and navy finished my card. You could also apply any kind of spray ink, watercolor paint or even ink from an ink pad using some kind of dauber. A quick swipe with a baby wipe or damp towel helps the resist areas to pop.

I used this card as a focal point on this grid style layout.


I also tried to do a card using a punch instead of a die cut machine. I love the way the hearts turned out - that's a Martha Stewart punch.


 The stamp I used this time was an Ali Edward's stamp for Technique Tuesday and the watercolor paper texture really made it impossible to read. I'm including it so you can learn from my mistake! If you have a detailed stamp, use smooth cardstock and be more careful about the amount of ink or paint you apply.


You could do this same technique with any punches or manual dies you have as well, and any stamp combined with heat embossing. The sky's the limit! If you give it a shot, I'd love to see what you do - comment below with a link.

Happy scrapping!

  Tiffany O'Grady
   Creative Team Member of SCRAP YOUR SCRAPS 

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of using project life cards to make a 12x12 layout, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...