Wednesday 15 October 2014

Let's Make A Pinwheel!


One day I was sitting at my computer doing one of my favorite things ~ a Google search of “how to use paper scraps.”  I found a fun pinwheel pattern tutorial and decided to give it a try.  I loved the results and have used several of these for card fronts.  They are so easy to make and you can use your scraps! 

You need 2 squares of plain-colored card stock measuring 2 5/8” x 2 5/8” to use as the foundation for the pinwheel.  Then you’ll need 8 squares of card stock or paper measuring 1 ¼” x 1 ¼”.  The squares can be hand cut or punched.  It’s best to use two different patterned papers for the smaller squares or you could even use a solid color with a pattern as long as it’s a contrasting color from the foundation.  Make sure to look through your scrap bin for those perfect scrap pieces. 

So here are my supplies for three different pinwheels. 


Take your two squares of card stock and overlap the squares diagonally. 


Apply adhesive to just the corner of one of your punched squares and place as shown.  The corner with glue should be on the outside point. 


Using a contrasting pattern, adhere the next piece of paper.  Continue until only one square remains.  Tuck the final square behind the first square to finish your pinwheel.  


That’s it!  See how easy that is?   Finish off the middle with an embellishment of your choice.  I chose a button for two of them because I have so many right now, but you could use a brad, a sticker, a punched circle ~ whatever you think would complete your pinwheel.  On the blue one, I used two different sized punched circles with a pop dot to give it some dimension. 


Here's a birthday card I made using one of the pinwheels:


 To make things even easier, I keep a stack of 2 5/8” x 2 5/8” squares and the 1 ¼” x 1 ¼” squares in a small container to have on hand and ready to go when I feel like making these.  So far I’ve only used them on cards, but I know they would look awesome on the right scrap booking layout, too. 

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope I’ve inspired you to use those scraps!


   Sandi Chromey
     Creative Team Member of SCRAP YOUR SCRAPS 


2 comments:

  1. That looks so cool! I haven't seen pinwheels done that way before. They would make perfect embellishments for boys pages. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Rochelle! I'm glad you liked it and already have ideas as to how to use them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...