Friday 9 January 2015

"Your Voice" - Journaling on your Scrapbook Layouts

"I'm not good at writing."  "I don't have time to journal."  "I just did a whole bunch of layouts at a crop.  All I have to add is the journaling, when I get a chance."

Does any of this sound familiar?  I've heard it all before, and I want to tell you right now that journaling is the most important part of your scrapbooks - besides the photos, of course!   In my opinion, journaling is what separates a scrapbook from a photo album.  We've all heard the saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words," but that doesn't apply to scrapbooking.  When it comes to scrapbooking, it's the words that tell the story behind the photos.
The reason most people avoid journaling so much is that it can be rather daunting and intimidating.  Hopefully, I will be able to help you solve this problem in your scrapbooking.  


Now, I'm not talking about being more outspoken, although that's another topic I might write about.  What I mean by "finding your voice" is determining who will be reading your journaling.  For whom are you creating the layout?  Is it the people in your layout?  Is it for grandparents?  Is it for yourself?  (That's OK, you know!)   When you know your audience, then you can determine your voice.

For example, in my children's scrapbooks, I address them in my writing.  I use first-person narration, such as "We went to our favorite park," and "You looked so cute in your Halloween costume."  If I'm creating a layout for my own personal scrapbook, I might use these words:  "My children are growing up right before my eyes," or "I married my first love."  It's still first-person, but I'm speaking about them, rather than to them. 






That's all there is to it.  The key is consistency.  If you begin speaking TO the subject of your layout, continue to do that throughout the entire journaling section.  Try to do it throughout the entire scrapbook.  The result will be something everyone who looks at your scrapbook will want to read, because it will sound natural and genuine.  Give it a try, and let me know if it works for you.










Hello Everyone

Yes, I am guilty of not journaling on all my scrapbook layouts.  Thanks Jeanette, for reminding us of how important it is to journal on our scrapbook layouts.There are some that I do make a point of journaling not matter how short.  They are usually of things I don't want to forget or have my daughters and further generations know.  Here is an example of one of these pages.  


Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY SCRAPPIN'!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Mandy, your layout is great! Terrific photo + heartfelt journaling = a very special layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for this post!.. it really is something I struggle with and you totally inspired me!!!..thank YOU! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...